Customize your hand pies however you like. Using Fruit/Salsa Bowls, we prepped apples, blueberries, strawberries and peaches for our filling. If you want mini apple pies, we suggest adding a teaspoon of cinnamon to the sugar, lemon juice, cornstarch, and salt mixture. Oh! And don’t forget to remove the skin on fruits like apples and pears. We want a smooth filling!
Bring your fruit, sugar, cornstarch, lemon, and salt mixture to a boil; let it simmer for 5 minutes or until its thickened. The fruit will be soft, too. Mix in pure vanilla extract, and let it cool while you prepare your pie dough.
Make your favorite homemade pie dough the day before, or buy pre-made pie dough from your local grocery store. No judging here! Throw some flour on a flat surface, and roll it out. Use a 4 inch cookie cutter (or the rim of round cup) to cut out circles in your dough. Re-roll scraps to use every last bit. No dough goes to waste! If you want to use our favorite pie dough recipe, checkout the first two directions in USA Dinnerware’s Quiche Recipe.
Fill and fold hand pies into half moon shapes. Crimp the edges to seal the dough together. Before air frying, brush your pies with heavy cream and sprinkle with sugar in the raw.
Air Fryer Hand Pies
- 1 cup fresh fruit of your choice sliced or cut if needed
- 1/2 cup sugar if making apple hand pies, mix a little cinnamon with your sugar
- 1 tbsp corn starch
- 1/2 lemon juice and zest
- a pinch of salt
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla
- 14 oz pie crust homemade or store bought
- 2 tbsp heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup coarse sugar
- Combine fruit, sugar, corn starch, lemon zest, lemon juice, and salt. Add to small pot, and bring to a boil.
- Simmer for 5 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat. Stir in vanilla, and let cool for 15 minutes.
- Roll out pie crusts on a flat surface, and use a 4 inch round cookie cutter to cut circles out of your pie dough.
- Place 1 tbsp cooled fruit filling in the center of each circle. Brush the edges of your dough circle with water and fold in half. Use a fork to crimp the edges, sealing hand pies.
- Use a sharp paring knife to cut a little 'x' on the top. This will allow steam to escape.
- Brush tops of pie with heavy whipping cream and then sprinkle with coarse sugar.
- Spray Air Fryer basket with non-stick butter spray, and place hand pies in a single layer. Air fry at 350 F for 7-8 minutes or until golden brown.
This recipe is easy and rather fun. Enjoy making these with your kids for the fall-idays or just an after-school treat! What’s your favorite pie filling?