The first step is to make the meringue. Preheat the oven to 275 degrees and line your baking tray with parchment paper. We used the Fiesta Baking/Pizza Tray. You will probably need at least 2 trays to make this recipe. It makes quite a lot of little “clouds!” They keep well in the fridge for a few days, if everyone in your family doesn’t gobble them up before then.
Use an electric mixer and whip together egg whites and cream of tartar on low until foamy, which will take about 2 minutes. Then raise the speed to medium and gradually add sugar, whipping to stiff peaks — about 7-8 minutes. Add vanilla and mix to combine. Drop large tablespoon mounds of meringue (about ¼ cup each) onto the parchment on baking sheets. Leave about 1 ½ inch between each mound.
Reduce temperature of oven to 225 degrees and place baking sheets into oven. Bake until meringues are firm and set — about 1 hour 15 minutes. VERY IMPORTANT: Turn off oven and leave the meringues to cool completely to continue to dry for another 2 hours. Whatever you do, no matter how tempted you are, do not open that oven. Don’t you peek! The meringues will crack and you don’t want cracked meringues, do you? We didn’t think so. So just be patient…
After 2 hours, remove them from the parchment paper and place them on a serving tray or in individual serving bowls. We used our Fiesta Medium Bowls for serving.
Fiesta Dinnerware Meringue Cloud Dessert Recipe
- 7 egg whites
- 1/4 tsp cream of tartar
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 8 oz whipped topping (or homemade if desired)
- 3 1/2 cups fresh berries
Make the Meringue Clouds
- Preheat oven to 275 degrees.
- Line two baking sheets with parchment.
- Use an electric mixer to whip egg whites and cream of tartar on low speed until foamy. This should take about 2 minutes.
- Increase speed to medium and gradually add in sugar. Whip mixture to stiff peaks. This should take about 7-8 minutes. The egg whites should look soft and smooth.
- Add vanilla and mix to combine.
- Use a tablespoon to drop heaping 1/4 cup sized mounds of meringue onto the parchment paper on the baking sheets. Leave about 1 1/2 inches between each mound.
- Place baking sheets in the oven and reduce the temperature to 225 degrees.
- Bake until the meringues are firm and set for 1 hour and 15 minutes.
- VERY IMPORTANT: Turn the oven off and leave the meringues to cool completely and continue drying. Do not open the oven. Leave them in the oven for 2 hours.
- Remove the meringues from the parchment and place them on a baking sheet, serving tray or serving bowls.
- Top each meringue with whipped topping and fresh berries.
- Store leftover meringues in an airtight container in the fridge for up to a few days.
To serve, top with whipped topping and fresh fruit. It’s such a fun treat you’ll have to try this summer. Kids and kids-at-heart will love making it and eating it. It’s really unlike anything you’ve probably tried before. If you make Fiesta Meringue Dessert Clouds, let us know what you think! Share your comments on social media 🍓