We’re not quite sure why National Zucchini Bread Day was placed in the month of April, while zucchinis proliferate in July. But, then again, we love the excuse to bake a few loaves of this hearty zucchini bread.
This recipe, adapted from James Beard, has a delightful texture and just the right amount of sweetness, and the best part is it makes two loaves. Share a loaf with a friend or simply freeze for a treat later on. We like to bake ours in the Fiesta Loaf Pan for that extra flair.
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 2 cups grated, peeled raw zucchini
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon double-acting baking powder
- 3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease two loaf pans and set aside.
- Beat eggs until light and starting to foam.
- Add in sugar, oil, shredded zucchini, and vanilla extract and mix to combine.
- In a separate bowl, mix together flour, salt, baking powder, and cinnamon. Add to the egg mixture and mix well until blended.
- Add chopped walnuts and stir gently, then pour into the two loaf pans.
- Bake for one hour or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out dry.
- Cool on a rack.
Are you a zucchini bread fan? What special mix-ins do you like to put into your loaves? Let us know in the comments! We love hearing from you.